END TIME NEWS, A CALL FOR REPENTANCE, YESHUA THE ONLY WAY TO HEAVEN

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TODAY IS
Latest topics
» PLEASE ACCESS THE LINK TO ALL INFORMATION
PART 4: HANNAH GRAHAM: DEADLY CONNECTIONS "48 HOURS:" A SLAIN STUDENT'S CASE UNLOCKS LONG-UNSOLVED CRIMES EmptySun 29 Aug 2021, 22:15 by Jude

THE OLIVE BRANCH | GOD IS MY SALVATION
LIVE TRAFFIC FEED

WEATHER FORECAST
ScreenSaver Forecast by NWS
WEATHER FORECAST
ScreenSaver Forecast by yr.no

PART 4: HANNAH GRAHAM: DEADLY CONNECTIONS "48 HOURS:" A SLAIN STUDENT'S CASE UNLOCKS LONG-UNSOLVED CRIMES

Go down

PART 4: HANNAH GRAHAM: DEADLY CONNECTIONS "48 HOURS:" A SLAIN STUDENT'S CASE UNLOCKS LONG-UNSOLVED CRIMES Empty PART 4: HANNAH GRAHAM: DEADLY CONNECTIONS "48 HOURS:" A SLAIN STUDENT'S CASE UNLOCKS LONG-UNSOLVED CRIMES

Post  Ara Sun 12 Jun 2016, 12:19

SAVING THE NEXT GIRL
Reporters were stunned, but perhaps no one was more shocked than the Harringtons themselves at the Commonweath attorney's blockbuster announcement.

"Mr. Matthew was indicted ...for first-degree murder with intent to defile Morgan Harrington," said Denise Lunsford told reporters on September 16.

The charges coming, finally, nearly six years after Morgan's death.

"It makes more real the fact Morgan is dead and, yes, was murdered," Gil Harrington told reporters.

"He needs to know that justice is coming," added Dan Harrington.

To drive the point home, the Harringtons resolutely locked eyes with Jesse Matthew as he walked past them in court.

"I wanted him to see ... this is the face of justice for Jesse Matthew, because I've known and believed for sometime that he killed our Morgan," Gil Harrington told reporters.

Trina Murphy is there for support.

The trial date was set for October 2016 in the Harrington case.

"The maximum sentence in Harrington's murder is life in prison, if convicted in Hannah Graham's murder Jesse Matthew could face the death penalty," Augenstein told his listeners as he spoke into an iPad.

But the trial for Hannah Graham's murder was scheduled for July 2016 -- a capital case with plenty of time for a plea.

"He can plead at any time up until he's found guilty," Morrogh explained.

"What's he got to lose? He's facing the death penalty," Spencer remarked.

"It's a hard call," he replied. "I will say he's got some good lawyers. ...I think they'll fight it out."

And with much of the evidence in the Hannah Graham case sealed, it's unclear how strong a case the state really has.

"We don't know what the evidence is. And they've actually been very careful, in many ways, to not put a lot of stuff out there," said Lloyd Snook.

"Based on what you do know, would you be surprised if this ever went to trial?" Spencer asked.

"Let's think about some of the -- the circumstantial evidence issues here, OK? What we think we know is that -- they were seen together at 1:30 at night the night she was last seen," Snook said. "Supposing the defense argues there's no evidence that he did anything to actually hurt her. That's a problem."

Hannah's family has grieved in private, leaving comments about the case to others.

"They're strong and they will figure out a way to get around this. They won't get over it. But they'll go forward," Hannah's coach, Craig Maniglia said. "I can tell you the Grahams want justice."

As do friends like Laila Nasser.

"When you send your kids to college you send them there to chase their dreams. Hannah didn't get that chance ," she said in tears. "Her last moments were at the mercy of a murderer. Monster."

Hannah's dreams were on everyone's mind this past summer, when several of her UVA classmates took to the mountains and pausing on the majestic French alps and peaks of Tanzania to remember her.

"We had dreamed of going to hike Mountblanc, talked about this," friend Allen Qiu said. "So we figured in a symbolic measure we would do this and bring her memorial there."

On Kilamanjaro, a simple photo tribute, says Qiu, to an unquenchable spirit.

"She loved hiking, she loved skiing, so I always imagined her skiing through the clouds," he said.

Learning from these tragedies is of great importance to Gil Harrington.

"I think we are at a critical time. There's a critical number of girls who have been-- killed or missing from our area," she told Spencer.

To increase awareness, the Harringtons founded an organization called Help Save The Next Girl.

Gil Harrington believes that what happened to Hannah, Morgan, Alexis and R.G. hits close to home for many young women.

"That was always my intent to save the next girl, unfortunately we couldn't save Hannah Graham," Gil Harrington told reporters.
Watch: Inside a "Help Save the Next Girl" meeting
Her crusade to protect young women continues, and as usual, Trina Murphy is at her side.

"From the day we found her story while following the Hannah Graham story we have not seized to grieve and pray for you," Trina Murphy said

Alexis's body still has not been found.

"It's now become bigger than just Alexis. And it's not about any one case or any one girl or guy. We have to unify," Trina Murphy said. "She is out there somewhere and until we are able to bring her home, we don't have any closure."
PART 4: HANNAH GRAHAM: DEADLY CONNECTIONS "48 HOURS:" A SLAIN STUDENT'S CASE UNLOCKS LONG-UNSOLVED CRIMES Aagvwg11

Balloons are released in memory of Alexis Murphy© Provided by CBS Interactive Inc. Balloons are released in memory of Alexis Murphy  
By August 2015, the Murphys gathered for the second anniversary of Alexis's disappearance.

"It's been 720 days, one million 51-thousand minutes since the last time we got to see her beautiful face... her smile, hear her voice and all her unique ways that she had," Trina Murphy told the gathered crowd, who released balloons at 7:16 - the last time Alexis's cell phone pinged.

For her mother, it feels like yesterday.

"Just getting started in life. And I never got no pictures," Laura Murphy said in tears. "I always wanted to see her dress to go to prom; I'll never see that."

"Families have to understand you really have to work at keeping their story alive," Trina Murphy said. "You just have to beat the drum. And it's the only way that we're ever gonna affect change."

Morgan Harrington's friend, Lindsey Crisp, found her own way to keep memories alive in a raw and emotional piece she wrote and shared at an open mic event.
Watch Lindsey Crisp's performance
A few days after her video hit social media, Crisp was reunited with Gil Harrington on the Copley Bridge for the first time since Morgan's death.

"The last place where she was-- of her own volition. It's become kind of a memorial spot for us," Gil Harrington said.

"So now the bridge is full of color and pictures and a sign that says, 'Justice,'" Crisp said of the memorial. "It felt good to be able to do something for her."

And on the sidewalk, words of thanks to R.G., the anonymous rape victim whose testimony - and courage - helped take a predator off the streets.

"She's the one that got away and I'm sure she didn't feel like the lucky one, but thank God she did," said Gil Harrington.

"She is the hero. I mean she came back from far away and relived this thing. She didn't have to," Ray Morrogh said. "But at the end of the day ... This was something that she had to do for the next woman and for herself as a woman. And we're all just so proud of her."
PART 4: HANNAH GRAHAM: DEADLY CONNECTIONS "48 HOURS:" A SLAIN STUDENT'S CASE UNLOCKS LONG-UNSOLVED CRIMES Aagvsb11

Morgan Harrington, Hannah Graham and Alexis Murphy© Provided by CBS Interactive Inc. Morgan Harrington, Hannah Graham and Alexis Murphy  
But for those left behind without resolution, memories are tinged with heartache and with questions of what might have been.

"I really thought Morgan would be an artist," Morgan Harrington's father said. "She was just chock a block full of potential," said her mother.

"I mean she could just roll out of bed and be gorgeous," Alexis Murphy's aunt remembered fondly.

"... loved to laugh, she was really, really funny," said her mother.

"She achieved everything she could at the highest level she could achieve it," said Hannah Graham's softball coach.

"She was very, like smiley and silly too ... Which is what I want people to remember most of all," friend Leila Nasser said. "This warm, sunny, smiley girl, full of life."

PART 4: HANNAH GRAHAM: DEADLY CONNECTIONS "48 HOURS:" A SLAIN STUDENT'S CASE UNLOCKS LONG-UNSOLVED CRIMES Aagvsb12

fourshot.jpg© Credit: CBSNews fourshot.jpg  EPILOGUE
On March 2, 2016, just a few months before the Hannah Graham murder trial was to begin, Jesse Matthew Jr. accepted a deal. He pleaded guilty to the first-degree murder of Hannah Graham and guilty to the first-degree murder of Morgan Harrington.

In exchange for pleading guilty, Matthew no longer faced the death penalty. He will serve four consecutive life terms with no possibility of ever being released.

Both the Harrington and the Graham families supported the plea agreement.

"I would say the primary emotion is relief," Gil Harrington told reporters. "...finding justice for Morgan has been a burden on our family for six-and-a-half years."

"Todays events do not bring Hannah back to us of course we miss her every day," John Graham told reporters. "At times like this one has to draw comfort where one can."

After the announcement, the Harringtons returned to the Copley Bridge, this time to tie green ribbons on the railings as a symbol of new growth and going forward. Gil Harrington said it would be their final visit to the bridge where Morgan was last seen.

"You don't get over your daughter being murdered, but you can get past it and we want to do that," she said.

"Hannah's enduring gift to us all is that she enabled this wicked man to be apprehended and convicted. She did change the world but at a terrible price," her father said.

If alive today, Hannah Graham and Alexis Murphy would be 20 years old. Morgan Harrington would be 26.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/style/hannah-graham-deadly-connections/ar-AAgVUY7#image=13
Ara
Ara
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down