END TIME NEWS, A CALL FOR REPENTANCE, YESHUA THE ONLY WAY TO HEAVEN

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TODAY IS
Latest topics
» PLEASE ACCESS THE LINK TO ALL INFORMATION
PART 2: HANNAH GRAHAM: DEADLY CONNECTIONS "48 HOURS:" A SLAIN STUDENT'S CASE UNLOCKS LONG-UNSOLVED CRIMES EmptySun 29 Aug 2021, 22:15 by Jude

THE OLIVE BRANCH | GOD IS MY SALVATION
LIVE TRAFFIC FEED

WEATHER FORECAST
ScreenSaver Forecast by NWS
WEATHER FORECAST
ScreenSaver Forecast by yr.no

PART 2: HANNAH GRAHAM: DEADLY CONNECTIONS "48 HOURS:" A SLAIN STUDENT'S CASE UNLOCKS LONG-UNSOLVED CRIMES

Go down

PART 2: HANNAH GRAHAM: DEADLY CONNECTIONS "48 HOURS:" A SLAIN STUDENT'S CASE UNLOCKS LONG-UNSOLVED CRIMES Empty PART 2: HANNAH GRAHAM: DEADLY CONNECTIONS "48 HOURS:" A SLAIN STUDENT'S CASE UNLOCKS LONG-UNSOLVED CRIMES

Post  Ara Sun 12 Jun 2016, 12:07

PART 2: HANNAH GRAHAM: DEADLY CONNECTIONS "48 HOURS:" A SLAIN STUDENT'S CASE UNLOCKS LONG-UNSOLVED CRIMES Aagvyv11

"We had 2,000 people searching for Morgan over a weekend, each day," said Dan Harrington.

"Morgan's case was one of the first cases that used social media to solicit information and tips and as a crime-solving tool," said Gil Harrington.

"We felt that the only way that we could help Morgan was to not let Morgan's case be swept under the rug," said Dan Harrington.

"I'd like to say, if Morgan is out there and hears us, please come home," Dan Harrington said at a press conference.

"We are trying to find you. We will never stop. We are trying honey, hang on," said Gil Harrington.

Even Metallica tried to help, appealing for the public's help for any information in her disappearance:
James Hetfield reward announcement: Any information no matter how small you might think it is could be that crucial piece investigators need to help solve the case.
"You are basically swinging on a pendulum between hope and despair," Gil Harrington told Spencer.

"It becomes pretty clear after a couple days that, you know, it's probably not gonna turn out good," said Dan Harrington.

Tragically, Morgan's father was right. In January 2010, three months after Morgan disappeared, human remains were found on a farm just 10 miles from the UVA campus.

"She was found by a farmer who ... was checking his fences ... and saw what he thought initially was, you know, a deer carcass but it was not. It was our daughter," said Gil Harrington.

But a forensic exam of the remains apparently yielded no clues as to who her assailant was. That would come from a T-shirt found one day draped over a bush near the UVA campus.

"The T-shirt, I believe, was found in November ... a couple weeks after Morgan was killed," said Gil Harrington.

"Most disturbing to me was that ... it had been put out like a trophy," she continued. "And just the -- the nerve and cockiness of a perpetrator who would leave a trophy like that in the middle of a campus."

"They were able to actually pick up some of Morgan's DNA in the T-shirt," Dan Harrington explained.

Even more importantly, testing picked up "unknown" DNA. When police ran it through their database, they got a hit: not to a person, but to another crime four years earlier and 100 hundred miles away.

"They had foreign DNA in their case which was matched to my foreign DNA in my case," said Detective Michael Boone.

In the fall of 2005, a man attacked, beat and sexually assaulted a young woman in Fairfax, Virginia. Detective Boone was the lead investigator.

The woman, who asked to be identified only as "R.G." was walking home from her local supermarket sometime after 8:30 p.m., as captured by a security camera.

"She felt somebody behind her. And she turned and was face to face with the suspect and asked him if she could help him. And he stated something to the effect that he was waiting for a friend or something. And she felt uncomfortable. She had a vibe ... and just kept movin'. And when she reached the front of her residence, she said she heard footsteps coming quickly behind her and then she was picked up off the ground," Boone explained.

Asked how violent the attack was, Boone told Spencer, "You know you call it a blitzkrieg type of attack ... comes outta nowhere. And very fast, very violent."

"He takes her and carries her across the parking lot into the wooded area down where this large tree is," Boone explained at the site of the attack.

It was just blind luck that Mark Castro came along when he did.

"What was the reason that you were even here that night?" Spencer asked Castro.

"I was here to see a boxing match at my friend's house," he replied.

"When Mr. Castro pulled in and parked in this general area -- the lights from his car would have been shining into the area where they were," Boone explained.

Those lights may have saved the woman's life.

"That the suspect stood up, looked up and looked towards the parking lot, which is where Mr. Castro was standing. And she said he took off running," said Boone.
Watch: Passerby on how he helped save victim of brutal attack
"Outta the corner of my eye I see a figure standing roughly in front of that trash can," Castro pointed out to Spencer while standing in the parking lot. "I was just shocked. And I'm-- you know ... Am I believing what I'm seeing right now?"

"What were you seeing?" Spencer asked.

"I was seeing a lady that was beaten nearly to death," he replied. "And she was covered in mud and covered with blood and she was walking towards me."

"What did she say?" Spencer asked.

"She said-- you know, 'There's a guy back there,'" he replied.

"Just, 'Back there,' meaning back in the woods?"

"Right," Castro affirmed. "After that, I sprinted back there screaming at the top of my voice, telling whoever it was to come out."

But the attacker was gone.

"I turned around and come back to her. And then made sure to get her to safety. I knocked on each and every house until someone answered the door," Castro continued.

"She went to Fairfax Hospital -- the emergency room ... where we bring in a forensic nurse who does the sexual assault exam," Boone explained. "They scrape the underside of the fingernails."

"And -- there was DNA evidence," Spencer noted.

"Yes," Boone replied.

The next day, the victim, R.G., was able to describe her assailant to a sketch artist, who produced a composite.

"Approximately--6', 6'2"--maybe 200 pounds," Boone said. "Short hair with a moustache and beard."

But a description of the suspect, a sketch, and even his DNA, didn't answer the central question: who was he?

It would take another tragedy, and another lost life, to answer that question.

"The DNA evidence had been found in the Morgan Harrington case. And -- I just had a feeling on the Hannah Graham case," said Boone.
"AN UGLY LITTLE CLUB"
The days go by with no trace of second-year UVA student Hannah Graham, despite what would become the largest search in Virginia's history.

"Members of the Charlottesville community have turned out in force to help. Armies of Hannah's university friends have been helping," her father, John Graham told reporters.

Each day, hundreds of volunteers show up, including one who has lived through this all before.

"I read that Alexis Murphy's aunt, Trina, was helping. Thank you ma'am," John Graham continued.

Like the Grahams and the Harringtons, Trina Murphy knows the pain of having a child go missing -- she knows it all too well.

"When they had the big search for Hannah, I went out to help look for her. It's just heartbreaking," she told Susan Spencer.

PART 2: HANNAH GRAHAM: DEADLY CONNECTIONS "48 HOURS:" A SLAIN STUDENT'S CASE UNLOCKS LONG-UNSOLVED CRIMES Aagvwg10
Alexis Murphy, 17, loved dancing and making people laugh.© Provided by CBS Interactive Inc. Alexis Murphy, 17, loved dancing and making people laugh.  
On Aug. 3, 2013, four years after Morgan Harrington's murder, and a year before Hannah Graham went missing, Trina's niece, 17-year-old Alexis Murphy, left her home in Shipman, Va., on a routine errand. Shipman is less than 40 miles from Charlottesville.

"She was planning to go to Lynchburg to buy hair extensions, because she was getting her hair done ... for her senior pictures," Trina Murphy explained. "Her last tweet was 'burg bound !'"

"And this is a kid who tweets and calls all the time right?" Spencer asked Alexis's mother, Laura Murphy.

"All the time, yes," she replied.

"Constantly trying to stay in touch."

"Right," said Laura Murphy.

"She was a very happy child. Alexis loved makin' people laugh," Laura Murphy continued. "We had videos where she's dancin' and she -- she could dance."

Her mother and aunt knew something was seriously wrong when they heard nothing from Alexis for hours.

"There was not a single tweet, not a single text message, not a single phone call. No activity on her cell phone once she left Liberty," said Trina Murphy.
PART 2: HANNAH GRAHAM: DEADLY CONNECTIONS "48 HOURS:" A SLAIN STUDENT'S CASE UNLOCKS LONG-UNSOLVED CRIMES Aagvll11

Alexis Murphy was last seen on surveillance footage at a gas station in Lovingston, Va.© Provided by CBS Interactive Inc. Alexis Murphy was last seen on surveillance footage at a gas station in Lovingston, Va.  
That's the Liberty gas station, where Alexis was last seen. Like Hannah Graham, her movements were caught on tape.

"What did you think then, when you saw that tape?" Spencer asked Trina Murphy.

"How could she go missing from the Liberty gas station? You know, what happened? What transpired in those minutes that we don't have her on camera," she replied.

In surveillance video not yet released to the public, Alexis's car is seen leaving the gas station, apparently following an SUV. Investigators identify its owner as one Randy Taylor, and witnesses say he often would just hang around the gas station watching people.

"I just think he had been stalking her, seeing her. He knew her routine," said Laura Murphy.

It didn't take much time to link Taylor to her disappearance.

"They found her hair extensions -- in his trailer," Trina explained. "She had a Monroe piercing. She had a nose piercing. ...she had false fingernails. They were found in there. And her blood on ... the shirt he was wearing that day seen in the video."

Police find her car in a movie theatre parking lot in Charlottesville. Inside the car they find DNA they can't identify from several sources. But none of it matches the unknown DNA from the Harrington murder and the Fairfax rape.

Even without finding Alexis, they arrest Randy Taylor and charge him with her murder.

His trial is attended by someone who truly understands what the Murphys are going through.

"Well, Gil reached out to us probably about three weeks after Alexis was abducted," said Trina Murphy.

Gil Harrington makes the three-and-a-half hour roundtrip every day.

"I also wanted ... to be there and shoulder and support them any way I could," she said.

"It means a great deal to us," Laura Murphy said. "Gil has really, really helped me."

The jury convicts Randy Taylor and he is sentenced to life. Alexis never has been found.

"When we left court, they said, 'we're never gonna give up searching for her,'" said Laura Murphy.

PART 2: HANNAH GRAHAM: DEADLY CONNECTIONS "48 HOURS:" A SLAIN STUDENT'S CASE UNLOCKS LONG-UNSOLVED CRIMES Aagvqc10
Graham, Harrington and Murphy families© Provided by CBS Interactive Inc. Graham, Harrington and Murphy families  
And now the Murphys and the Harringtons join the Grahams in the search for Hannah.

"Trina Murphy and I converged on Charlottesville to -- to talk to the community, to ask for tips, to ask for participation in search because-- the-- the Grahams were unable to do that at that time. And we wanted to get as many people out there looking for Hannah as possible," said Gil Harrington.

"Just to hold their hand -- to hold her mother's hand and pray for their closure, you know, for them to find their daughter," said Trina Murphy.

"We're part of a ugly little club that we have some knowledge and some understanding of how to proceed," Gil Harrington told Spencer. "Once you know how bad it feels to have a murdered child, you wanna do whatever you can to help anyone else who's in the same terrible spot that you're in."

On day six of Hannah Graham's disappearance, acting on a tip, police identify and locate the man seen on tape with her in the mall.

"They search his apartment. They seize his car. They obtain something out of his wallet ... it's a tip that's used for cigars. And they take that into evidence. And they send it off to be analyzed," WTVR reporter Laura French explained.

Within a day, the man's name leaks out. He is 32-year-old Jesse Leroy Matthew Jr. And before police can even confirm it to reporters, he simply walks into the police station -- voluntarily.

"So Jesse Matthew arrived at the Charlottesville police station ... and he said he wanted to get a lawyer," WTOP reporter Neal Augenstein explained. "Matthew didn't answer any questions, wasn't interested in telling police anything, and he left the police station."

With no concrete evidence, police can't hold him. But that doesn't stop them from following him.

"Several hours later while police were following Jesse Matthew, he took off from his grandmother's house," said Augenstein.

Driving his sister's car, he suddenly floors it.

"And they lose him," said French.

"Excuse me?" Spencer asked.

"They lose him."

Astonishingly, the only suspect in Hannah Graham's disappearance leaves police in the dust.

"Police did not have the authority to chase him," said Augenstein.

"They didn't have enough to arrest him, really at that point. But ... they really thought they had their suspect," said attorney Lloyd Snook.

"And he's gone," Spencer commented.

When news broke that Jesse Matthew was on the lam, Twitter exploded.

"We have all these people who were already deeply involved in this case, searching for answers, wracking their brains ... And they're coming up with ideas and saying, 'Well, why don't -- aren't police doing that? Why can't police do this?'"Augenstein said. "But things don't work as quickly in real life as they do on a ... TV show."

"I believe Jesse Matthew was the last person she was seen with before she vanished off the face of the Earth 'cause it's been a week and we can't find her, but somebody knows where she is. Somebody's got to know where she is," Chief Longo addressed reporters. "So I hope and pray that we might have an opportunity to talk to Jesse Matthew again because I think he can help us find Hannah Graham."

And just days after fleeing, Matthew, still on the run, is formally charged in Hannah's abduction.

"The Commonwealth felt we had sufficient probable cause to seek an arrest warrant ... for Jesse Leroy Matthew Jr., charging him with a class 2 felony of abduction with intent to defile," Chief Longo told reporters.

And, for the first time, Hannah Graham's mother, Sue, speaks out.

"Somebody listening to me today either knows where Hannah is or knows someone who has that information. We appeal to you to come forward and tell us where Hannah can be found," she appealed during a press conference.

"They only knew that Hannah was missing. They didn't know where she was. They didn't know if she was alive or dead. Everybody had their fears. But nobody knew," said Snook.

Now police aren't just looking for one missing person -- they are looking for two.
WHO IS JESSE MATTHEW?
In Albemarle County, searches had become daily events -- searches for both UVA student Hannah Graham and for the only suspect in her disappearance, Jesse Matthew.

"Days are going by and we don't know where Jesse Matthew is," Laura French told "48 Hours" correspondent Susan Spencer. "Not only do we have each day that's ticking by that the Graham family doesn't know where their daughter is ... But we also have the person that they say was last seen with her, we don't know where he is. There's no clues being offered. It was tense."

"This press conference and every press conference hereafter is about one thing and one thing only, and that is finding Hannah," Chief Longo told reporters.

"This was a very heated few days," Neal Augenstein said. "Chief Longo was obviously very involved in this."

"I'm hoping that they're hearing my words and and seeing my frustration ... And pick up the phone and tell us something regardless of how insignificant you think it might be," Longo went on.

"He was speaking to the press and speaking directly to Jesse Matthew," Augenstein continued.

"I've made no mistake about it. We wanna talk to Jesse Matthew," Longo said. "We want to talk about his interaction with a sweet young girl that we can't find. Cause he was with her."

Surely someone had information about Jesse Mathew. After all, the then-32-year-old grew up in Charlottesville, went to high school there and was working at the university hospital transporting patients.

"People have been trying to learn more about Jesse Matthew since they first heard his name," Augenstein explained. "People who've known him had called him a gentle giant. ...This was a guy who was a football player. ...This was a guy who was working in Charlottesville with kids. He was a volunteer football coach."

French says Matthew was "a quiet guy" and mentored high school students.

"In fact, the night that Hannah Graham went missing, he was at a game that Friday night ...helping these kids, cheering them on. So on the outside nothing seemed suspect," she said.

"I have talked to friends of his who said, 'I trusted him with my children,'" French continued.

"Nobody said, 'Yeah, you know, Jesse always had trouble. And we -- this is the kind of thing we would've expected,'" Spencer asked French.

"No. If anything, it was, 'He was not capable of premeditating anything. He may have been awkward socially, sometimes, and quiet. But never, never could he be capable of this,'" she replied.

William Haith knew Jesse Matthew when both played football at Virginia's Liberty University, which Matthew attended from 2000 to 2002.

"He was a team player. He was always there and, you know, participating in team activities," Haith told Spencer.

"He knew how to play football. And he was actually great at it. I thought he had potential to do some great things on the football field," he continued.

But off the field, information began to circulate that cast Matthew, or L.J. as his friends called him, in a much different light.

"My head coach ... let us know ... they were going to put L.J. off the team because apparently he had forced himself on a female student," said Haith.

"Did anybody ever say, 'Hey, you know, what happened? Is this true?'" Spencer asked.

"Once he was kicked off the team ... no one that I know of actually ... went out of their way just to get more detail. ...His roommate said that he may not have known that he was going too far. But again, that's speculation, hearsay from his roommate," Haith replied. "There were so many rumors going around, but there was no concrete evidence."

Lynchburg police did confirm they conducted an investigation of an alleged rape that occurred around the same time, but no criminal charges were filed. Still, Matthew left -- not just the football team, but the university. And teammates, says Haith, quickly put the incident, and Jesse Matthew, behind them.

"None of us came in defense of him," Haith said. "It lingered on for maybe a couple a days ... But then we kept it movin'."

After Liberty, Matthew attended Christopher Newport University in Newport News, Va. Again he was on the football team, and again he left after just a few months amid allegations of another sexual assault.

Asked what happened to these cases, French told Spencer, "It went under the radar. They didn't press charges. So ... the next university did not know ... what they were getting. ...There was no requirement that ... they needed to alert the other university of why he was transferring. ...So there's these allegations. And next thing you know, he's transferred."

"They never had a determination by anybody that he was dangerous," said Charlottesville attorney Lloyd Snook.

"Looking back, you can't help but say, 'Gosh, if ... there'd been a requirement that the colleges make this public then ..." Spencer commented.

"It's probably more to the point that when there is no actual prosecution, that's where the system fails," said Snook.

"Not once, but twice," Spencer remarked.

"That's right," said Snook.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/style/hannah-graham-deadly-connections/ar-AAgVUY7#image=13
Ara
Ara
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down